[Gllug] Killing the client but leaving the process running

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Mar 5 11:19:27 UTC 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 10:45, David Irvine wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 10:16, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> > And verily, didst Tom Schutzer-Weissmann announce to the hordes:
> > > I used putty to get a terminal on a linux server on my windows machine.
> > > Now I want to go home and really I ought to log out of windows, but
> > > this will kill my session and an important backup running in the
> > > background.

> Screen is very cool, but if its not available for some reason, you can
> also use nohup, the job will keep running, output is directed to a file
> which you can tail etc, but you cannot 'reattach' but its fine for
> things like backups.

Hear hear - all these bloody kids nowdays with their fancy "screen" commands,
I can remember when all we had was paper-tape etc...

Important point with nohup is to remember to background the task yourself:
  nohup my_backup_command &

I only mention this because I always forget.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk