[Gllug] Thunderbird, procmail and new mail

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 12:57:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 12:18, Murray wrote:

> Problem
>    When new mail arrives from the list, Thunderbird doesn't notify me.
>    It does when new mail arrives in the (default) INBOX
>
> The mail *is* going to the relevent "new" folder.  If I click the folder
> (in TB) *then* it shows up as a new message.

Mozilla/TB only checks the INBOX for new mail by default. On an IMAP
server with server side filtering, this is (as you've noticed) not what
you want. For TB or Mozilla, you just need at add this to your user.js:-

user_pref("mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new", true);

If you don't have a user.js, just create one in the profile directory,
at the same level as the prefs.js

> I'm a bit un-clear about the notion of folder "subscriptions", as they
> don't appear to make a blind bit of difference to anything.  I'm just
> starting to play with Courier, so maybe it's something I need to enable
> there?

Subscriptions just means that you can have folders on the server that
aren't displayed by a client. For instance, if you subscribe to 10
mailing lists, you might unsubscribe from those folders on a mail client
on a laptop, so you don't need to bother checking them while you're
away. In general, they cause me grief - users create new folders through
webmail, then can't find them :-).

> Mutt, of course, works wonderfully, but won't suit all users.  Although
> again, is there a way in Mutt to be notified when new mail arrives in
> another folder?

Mutt is not a particularly good IMAP client, IMHO. It doesn't cache
headers (unless new versions have started doing this), so it's really
slow.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk