[Gllug] USB to serial converters

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 08:13:21 UTC 2004

On Sunday 07 Mar 2004 9:25 am, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Maybe this is the answer to my USB dilemma?  Connecting a usb device [a
> palm pda] to a serial port and then being able to sync my pda? Anyone
> got any thoughts on this avenue please?

It's really not a hardware problem you're experiencing though - you've
established that your box knows the PDA is there, it's just a case of making
the two talk.  You could try kpilot, dlpsh, etc on /dev/ttyUSB[01] as well -
so far you've only been trying /dev/usb/ttyUSB[01] haven't you?

Also if it fails when using dlpsh, just try the same thing again a few times -
if the visor module's being loaded only at need (as I think is the case with
Red Hat) then the first attempt is quite likely to fail as the connection
times-out before the kernal module is loaded - failing the first or second
time doesn't mean that exactly the same thing won't work the next time.

It's worth persevering - others have managed to HotSync their M130s so there's
no reason why you'll not be able to do so too :o)

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."
FB53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3 4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E