[Gllug] CD writer fault,

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 08:15:08 UTC 2004

On Wed 03 Mar, Phil Reynolds wrote:

> I am trying to write my backups to CD-RW using cdbackup to effectively
> stream them. However, I find that the process sometimes breaks due to cd
> record claiming "No disk/wrong disk".
>
> This happens at random but far too much for my liking. Is the drive on
> its way out or is this a known problem with cdrecord?
>
> If it is a problem with my drive (which is a BTC 4016IM), I would be
> interested in replacing it with a DVD writer (dual standard). Is there
> an easy way to accomplish tasks like this to rewritable DVD media?

   I have been using a fairly new Sony CD writer with bulk purchase media,
and do get the occasional failure, but at about 20p per disc it is not worth
worrying.
   I have recently purchased an OEM NEC ND1300A (bare drive, no M$ software)
which claims to write all standards apart from Dual-Layer. I was immediately
asked about M$ software, so looked at the NEC website. There was no WIN
driver, but a lot of information about compatible media, and firmware
upgrades to allow a greater range of media.
   I have been using CDBakeOven as the front end, and once I figured out
what I needed to do it makes it easy. My first attempt was on a machine with
Knoppix in a DVD reader and using a CD writer to do the burning. Ordinary
Debian needed to be told to use IDE-SCSI emulation by the lilo configuration
to make it work, but it does allow copying from one drive to the other.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk