[Gllug] SSL tunnelling -- advanced version

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Mon Mar 29 16:21:12 UTC 2004

I am looking for something a couple of notches more capable than stunnel.

What I have working with stunnel:

    * client:
          o windows running proprietary app
          o stunnel-3.26 running in client mode
          o simple firewall -- all client go through
    * server
          o Linux/Solaris proprietary app offering service  on a port
          o stunell-3.26 running in server mod, redirecting to port above
          o open port through firewall

So the ssl tunnel works, but in a limited enviroment.  I need to find
something like the stunnel client bit that lets the software run in a
variety of more restrictive network environments:

    * Pays attention to the proxy settings that IE uses
    * Knows how to authenticate to proxy servers that use NTLM
      authetication to identify users (used mostly for which web sites
      people can go to)
    * simple install -- a couple of .dlls and a .exe would be ideal
    * Preferrably configurable with a simple text file or registry settings

SSLproxy (http://www.obdev.at/products/ssl-proxy) seemed at first to be
the answer, but I don't want to install Python on all the possible clients.

Ideas appreciated.

Alan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk