[Gllug] Poor disk performance - help

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Mar 21 22:44:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have just replaced my motherboard & CPU - but disk I/O is abysmal.
I have AMD Athlon XP 3000+ running at 2166 MHz, I have 1G ddr 333MHz RAM.
Soltek motherboard (SLKT600-RL).
I have IDE 2 disks & 2 CDs.

Machine seems OK except that disk i/o is slooow and uses vast amounts of CPU, I first
noticed it when a ftp from a local machine was ~2Mbyte/sec with 50->100% cpu, I would
expect ~10MB/sec.

If I do a disk read:
	# time dd if=/dev/hda10 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=100
	100+0 records in
	100+0 records out

	real    0m12.903s
	user    0m0.010s
	sys     0m11.380s

Note the high system time. It doesn't seem to be the machine in general as if I immediately
repeat (ie from buffer cache) I get:

	# time dd if=/dev/hda10 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=100
	100+0 records in
	100+0 records out

	real    0m0.324s
	user    0m0.000s
	sys     0m0.270s

If I do this on what should be a much slower machine (1GHz Duron, 512Mb RAM) I get:

	# time dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=100
	100+0 records in
	100+0 records out

	real    0m3.512s
	user    0m0.000s
	sys     0m0.930s

Note that the system time is a much smaller fraction of the real time.

(You can see that it is slower as if I immediately repeat:
	# time dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/null bs=1M count=100
	100+0 records in
	100+0 records out

	real    0m0.646s
	user    0m0.000s
	sys     0m0.640s
)

OK, so I have got something screwed - but what, any idea where I should start looking ?

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk