[Gllug] Hosting options

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Fri Mar 5 11:38:55 UTC 2004

Hello peeps,

I'm looking for a place in cyberspace to call home. I don't have enough
space at home for my own server, and my infrastructure (work supplied
DSL and locked router) prevents me running a server of my own. Plus, I'm
lazy, I move about often, and I'd prefer to have some form of off-site
backup. I'd prefer not to have to do all the patching and running about
that comes with running my own server.

I'd like <10GB of storage space, the usual LAMP style set-up, rsync, and
the ability to run arbitrary daemons of my own. I don't anticipate huge
bandwidth requirements. The idea is that this service will basically
host my backups, email, and web page(s).

I think I'm looking for virtual hosting services, but I'm not clear on
what the implications of the term mean. I'm looking for informed
opinions and recommendations about services and costs. The competition
is some mates who are putting together a server to share, they'll
probably be doing the maintenance; but you all know about sick doctors,
immobile mechanics, and nerds without backups...

Thanks,

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk