[Gllug] Odeon website

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu May 20 13:00:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 01:45:44PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> 10.1 - Until user agents allow users to turn off spawned windows, do not
> cause pop-ups or other windows to appear and do not change the current
> window without informing the user.
>
> It's quite probable that a pop-up window will appear somewhere that he
> couldn't see it and thus, to him, the link appears to do nothing.

In the case of a web application, as opposed to a more general-purpose
website, it would be reasonable to use pop-ups and targetted links but
to offer the option to turn them off.  Our webmail does this and the one
staff member with severe sight problems has no complaints: he likes the
flexibility, especially since he has the option for the pop-ups to
remember where they were on the screen when they were last closed and
re-appear in the same place.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.