[Gllug] Linux on a box with mixed discs

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri May 14 11:24:13 UTC 2004

On Fri 14 May, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 10:32:09AM +0100, Chris wrote:
> >
> >    This is during the initial installation/reboot, so I have little control
> > over the contents of the kernel.
>
> Do you mean the reboot that Debian does after the installation of the
> main system but before final package selection/configuration?  If so,
> then you do have some control.  If nothing else, you can alt-arrow to a
> different tty, go find the scripts that do the fsck and disable them.
> '
   That's correct, although I do think it is worth doing the fsck.ext2 on a
normal re-boot, so would not want to completely disable the facility. This
is not the only box that will have a mixed disc system, as I have added an
external SCSI drive and tape backup box to another computer, and I think it
would be best if that is also checked on re-booting, although that was not
present during the initial Woody installation so did not show this problem.

> I would still recommend installing Woody and then upgrading to Sarge.
> The Woody installer isn't the friendliest of beasts but it is very
> stable.  If the beta-quality Sarge installer is giving you problems,
> that's the easiest way round it.

   So far I have had the same problem with Sarge and 2.6, Sarge and 2.4,
Woody and 2.4, and more than 4 versions of the new Sarge network installer
test. (I am very trying!)

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk