Debian (was Re: [Gllug] Traceroute query)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon May 31 09:41:45 UTC 2004

On Mon 31 May, Richard Turner wrote:

> No, although I've become accustomed to hearing its proponents say that
> it's the best :o)
>
> I tried to install Potato once and although I could have found all the
> hardware information it wanted fairly easily it was less effort to use
> the CD of any other distro, which would detect all those things for me,
> than go hunting for and through the manuals for all my hardware.  It was
> too much effort for an unknown reward ("why is it so much better?"), so
> I didn't bother.
>
> Despite the hundreds of release-critical bugs still to be resolved
> before Sarge is released I'd rather wait for that than mess about with
> Woody's boot floppies or try to install from a Knoppix CD.  Perhaps,
> when Sarge is released, I'll learn the error of my ways...!

   Potato (2.2) was replaced by woody (3.0) nearly three years ago, and
there was a newer installer released with it (but you had to read the
information provided on the first screen, perhaps follow the references to
additional screens accessed via the function keys, and select the bf24
version). Woody is now at revision 2, and there may be a revision 3.
   The new sarge installer has a few remaining bugs but is almost ready for
release using either 2.4 or 2.6 kernels, with a larger choice if you select
expert mode. There has been recent discussion about removing "contributed"
and "non-free" modules (mainly hardware drivers) from the standard kernels
provided which could delay the formal release of sarge as 3.1.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk