[Gllug] A Book for Bedtime

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Thu Nov 18 22:01:15 UTC 2004

Thus spaketh David on Thursday 18 November 2004 19:32:
> What I, and I am sure plenty of
> others, would like is a short list of books or articles on a variety of
> topics that focus on giving us a greater understanding that, in your
> opinion, really do the business.

What really got me over my initial forays has been the Linux Documentation
Project -- www.tldp.org -- and their collection of HOWTOs. I came across them
mid to late 90s, and there's been nothing like it. Beyond the HOWTOs, the
O'Reilly books have been major buys for me www.oreilly.com.

Beyond even those, and getting deeper, I've always made sure to check out
usegroup FAQs for suggested reading. That way takes you the source --
Kernighan and Ritchie, Stroustrup, Schneier -- the top people in their
fields. Or read through the docs supplied with packages.

I do some work with LAMP, so I have downloaded various things I find useful so
I have a local copy of the MySQL user manuals, PHP, the HTML-4.01
specifications from w3c. I also have local copies of the more important RFCs
from www.ietf.org.

Start with the HOWTOs, and good luck!
--
Alistair