[Gllug] A Book for Bedtime

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 00:08:59 UTC 2004

On Thu 18 Nov, David wrote:

> As will be painfully obvious from recent postings (but thanks to Mike Brodbelt
> for his really gold mine posting) I am trying to scramble thru the foothills
> of Linux. So, I have tried my best to read the sweet words that appear here,
> the basic books, like Running Linux, and newgroups to pick up 'stuff' as I go
> along. But what I would like to read are books that help me off the lowest
> rung of this ladder. For example, it would be good to gain an understanding
> of the directory structure under Linux. There are, of course, lots of other
> 'stuff' out there. What I, and I am sure plenty of others, would like is a
> short list of books or articles on a variety of topics that focus on giving
> us a greater understanding that, in your opinion, really do the business.
>
> David Reed

   There is plenty of information available from The Linux Documentation
Project, the Guides for general information useful to new users, as well as
network and system administrators, plus the HOWTO's for more in-depth
information on particular subjects, and the Manual pages for individual
packages.

http://www.tldp.org

   Find out more about the manual pages by entering

man man

   Much of that information is also found within the various distributions,
and Debian for example places documentation in /usr/share/doc/ and you may
want to list all of what is there with long details, piped to the viewer
called "more" so that you can see a screen full at a time using

ls -al /usr/share/doc/ | more

   Debian provide easy access on line to their documentation via

http://www.uk.debian.org

   You will also find links to plenty of information using the Google search
engine, also read the helpful hints provided by Google for improving the

http://www.google.com

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk