[Gllug] A Book for Bedtime

Sharon Kimble sharonm63 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 20:06:36 UTC 2004

On Thursday 18 Nov 2004 19:32, David wrote:
> As will be painfully obvious from recent postings (but thanks to Mike
> Brodbelt for his really gold mine posting) I am trying to scramble thru the
> foothills of Linux. So, I have tried my best to read the sweet words that
> appear here, the basic books, like Running Linux, and newgroups to pick up
> 'stuff' as I go along. But what I would like to read are books that help me
> off the lowest rung of this ladder. For example, it would be good to gain
> an understanding of the directory structure under Linux. There are, of
> course, lots of other 'stuff' out there. What I, and I am sure plenty of
> others, would like is a short list of books or articles on a variety of
> topics that focus on giving us a greater understanding that, in your
> opinion, really do the business.

I started using linux in January this year, and for me, the only linux bedtime
reading is 'LInux Format'. Good articles for beginners, and those in the
middle, and written by the gurus :) And this group has also been a great help
to me too, helped me solve little problems that were bugging me. I've also
joined my local LUG, and get email support through them, and also received
some surplus kit which helped me out too :)

So you're in the right place, google for answers, ask here and in the
newsgroup for your distro too. And if you find a particular program that you
really like, email the programmer and tell them, likewise if you're having
problems with it. Invariably they email you back with a fix or a patch, as
they appreciate people using their program.

Sorry, got a bit off the topic of the email there :)

Sharon.
--
 20:00:36 up 1 day,  5:38,  1 user,  load average: 2.33, 1.79, 1.62
Linux is like a wigwam, no windows, no gates, apache inside.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk