[Gllug] USB A4 flatbed scanners

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Nov 10 12:58:24 UTC 2004

Andy McGarty <andy at mac1systems.com> writes:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:49:04 +0000, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
>
>> On a related issue, I've got some negatives which I'd like to put up
>> on the web.  Standard way to do this would be to go to a photographic
>> shop and have the photos developed onto a CD, but this costs loads of
>> money.  I could scan in the negatives, but how would I "negate" them?
>>
>> Rich.
>>
> You need a scanner with transparency adaptor (it has a backlight) and remember to scan at higher
> resoltions than normal as the image is small.

[snip]

Morgan have a slide scanner ATM for "a reasonable price for a slide
scanner". SCSI, too.

The usual issue with this is that the optical density (or depth? I
forget the term) of the scanner isn't big enough to capture the black -
white range.

Photographic shops have expensive slide equipment no-one uses any more
that they are still trying to amortise the cost of, so you might try
haggling :->

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml