[Gllug] <segmentation fault, sdl parachute deployed.>

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Fri Nov 5 10:50:19 UTC 2004

Richard Jones writes:

>To find out what files it's actually reading, you'll need
>to ``strace'' the program as it starts up:
>
>strace -o /tmp/trace briquolo

Or to improve the S:N ratio:

	strace -e open -o /tmp/trace briquolo

The sdl parachute stuff is just one of the libraries that the game uses
trapping SIGSEGV[1], and doing some tidying up to restore the graphics
hardware to a sane state when the game dies.

Tet

[1] In general, it's bad practice for a library to do any signal handling
    unless it's via an explicit API request from the program. But in this
    case, there are some tangible benefits to doing so. It's a tough call
    to make on whether or not it's a good idea. I suspect I'd have written
    an sdl_parachute() function, and left it up to the application to call
    that from a signal handler if desired, which would give you the best
    of both worlds.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk