[Gllug] Newbie needs help!

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Oct 20 09:54:42 UTC 2004

This one time, at band camp, Andy McCall wrote:

>    Digging around in my loft I found an old Compaq LTE Lite 4/25E (486) mono
>    laptop, 12Mb ram and have managed to upgrade the hard drive to 800Mb. It
>    has no built in CD Rom but does have a floppy drive and I have a parallel
>    port CDR.
>
>    My question is this, is there a distro available that will work with what
>    I've got giving me access to WP and Spreadsheets?

12 megs of RAM will make for a very painful experience in anything but
Windows 3.11, which will be a very painful experience for other reasons.

If Linux supports your parallel port CD-ROM drive, any distribution will
work with it.  You'll need some kind of boot floppy and to pass
appropriate parameters to the Linux kernel to get it to boot the first
time.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "To retain respect for sausages and laws, one must not
  watch them in the making."
- Otto von Bismarck
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk