[Gllug] ATX power supply up the spout?

Frank Scott fscott at frasco.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 22:09:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 03:49:54PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 14:20, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> Speaking of which, does anyone know what the difference is between an
> Athlon 64 and an Opteron?

Opterons use 940 pin sockets which means they use slower and more
expensive registered ECC memory and more expensive 6 layer motherboards.
But you can reliably fit more memory and the ECC gives you more
confidence in your results. 1xx Opterons are singletons, 2xx are duals
and 4xx are quads. The memory controllers are dual channel ie 128 as
well as 64 bit ( well 72 and 144 acually cos of the ECC). Opterons have
1MiB L2 caches

AMD 64s use either 940, 939 or 754 pin sockets and can only be used as
uniprocessors. Some of the suped up FXs use the 940 socket but most use
the 939 socketwhich is also dual chanel but does not rquire registered
RAM[1]. The 754 socket used on the cheaper AMD 64s is only single
channel. The L2 cache on the 64 is either 512MiB or 1024MiB according
to model. AMD 64s have the Cool and Quiet power saving mode and the Nx
memory protection bit. 939 and 754 sockets are designed to be compatible
with cheaper to make 4 layer motherboards.

[1] I think the on chip memory controllers are 72 bits (ie ECC capable) for
all the 64 bit chips but I haven't seen anyone with ECC capable AMD 64
otherings.

Frank

--
    /V\    : ;`  :   Frank Scott  Sutton, London
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk