[Gllug] ATX power supply up the spout?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 14:42:30 UTC 2004

On Sat 25 Sep, John Winters wrote:

> My power workstation (800 MHz Duron!) suddenly won't turn on.  If you
> take the lid off, connect a power lead, wait 30 seconds and then press
> the power button the CPU fan turns about 1/10 of a rotation.  Then sod
> all else happens.  My best guess is that the PSU has turned up its
> toes.  Any other suggestions before I order a new one?
>
> TIA,
> John

   It could be so many things, including a dirty internal fuseholder, a dry
joint, an excessive load...
   Switch mode PSU's can go overvoltage and destroy themselves if powered
without a load, usually about 10% of maximum, so I connect some dead hard
drives during testing. ATX PSU's will normally start immediately if the
motherboard is not connected, so watch the PSU fan and listen to the drives.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk