[Gllug] wiping a partition

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Thu Sep 2 14:38:55 UTC 2004

john gennard writes:

>I want to eliminate all the data on three large partitions to
>make way for two Debian based distros which apparently
>will not install to partitions already containing data.
>
>Some time ago, I kept an email stating how this can be done
>but now cannot find it.
>
>Will someone kindly let me know how to do this.

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1
	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda2
	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda3

(assuming those are the partitions you wish to clear). If you don't
care about wiping the data, and just want to make them unusable, you
can do instead:

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=1024 count=128

which will be *much* faster.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk