[Gllug] new types of spam

mimo mimo at restoel.net
Wed Sep 22 12:09:08 UTC 2004

Interesting to hear this. The deylays have an explanation, and I think
you could say it's also a problem on the client side. Let's say you send
an email to someone and their server is down (and secondary as well).
What should your mail server do? I think SMTP RFC specifies that your
MTA should try to resend the message for a couple of times for certain
period of time. It's reasonable to assume there could be a network
problem or mainteneance downtime or something like that. In which case
it would be good to, let's say, wait a couple of minutes and send try
resending the message again.
This is all that greylisting expects. Apparently, quite a lot of mail
servers (NTL!!! -- who said they are embarassed their system is this bad
and are working on it), especially 'home' installations are not
configured or cannot even be configured to take care of this very
plausible scenario....

mimo

--
Please note that this account is being filtered using anti UCE systems. If you send email to this account make sure that it could not be mistaken as UCE.