[Gllug] Fedora and JPackage

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Apr 26 10:16:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:59:51AM +0100, will wrote:

> >This is one thing that RPM does NOT do for you. If a dependency is missing
> >it just winges and dies. Debian's apt is infinitely superior in this
> >respect. You can download a copy of yum or apt for an RPM based system.
>
> You *cannot* compare RPM and apt, they do not perform the same function!
>   Just as you cannot compare sendmail and courier-imap.  A valid
> comparison would be between RPM and DPKG as these actually fulfil
> equivalent roles.

To be fair, Will, he didn't compare rpm and apt; after all, he suggested
adding apt to rpm, not replacing it.  If you look carefully, he also
suggested yum, so I don't think this can be dismissed as Debian
weeniness.

He was entirely correct.  RPM doesn't do do that.  I don't think he
should have to add a "dpkg also doesn't do this:" disclaimer.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill