[Gllug] Fedora and JPackage

will will at willj.net
Tue Apr 26 09:59:51 UTC 2005

Alain Williams wrote:
>>Pros of RPM:
>>Normally the stuff is put in more standard distro places
>>Wrapper scripts such as service start X are installed.
>>Better support for swapping JVMs.
>>Reproduceable install
>>Easily Upgradeable
>>Dependancy resolution
>
> This is one thing that RPM does NOT do for you. If a dependency is missing
> it just winges and dies. Debian's apt is infinitely superior in this
> respect. You can download a copy of yum or apt for an RPM based system.

You *cannot* compare RPM and apt, they do not perform the same function!
   Just as you cannot compare sendmail and courier-imap.  A valid
comparison would be between RPM and DPKG as these actually fulfil
equivalent roles.

I am sure you are aware that you can now use apt for Fedora, SuSE and
maybe Redhat, so the only whingeing that happens is ignorant Debian
weenies who can't see the difference between DPKG and apt :)

Will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk