[gllug] Machine Cloning

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Mon Apr 25 08:51:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 16:06, Steve Nelson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Wondering what approaches folk recommend...
>
> My task is to 'clone' an app server.  Of course, the new app server
> must have a unique licence for weblogic, and unique system
> identification.

Do you know what the license locks against. Does it use the MAC address
like sensible[1] licensing systems?

> One option was simply to make a literal copy of the machine, and then
> change the necessary to make the other machine unique.
>
> The current plan is to build the machine to the same basic spec, and
> then restore from tape those bits which differ, and regenerate the
> weblogic licence by hand.

I'm not sure what the license has to do with which install method you
choose. Surely you will have to generate a new license whatever you do?
Or does this machine already have a license?

> Those who have done similar tasks - any recommendations?

I'll admit to having a philosophical dislike of imaging. It can lead to
people forgetting how to set the machine up from scratch. But it is the
fastest way to get a working a system. When imaging we tend to do it the
old school way by using a rescue disk and writing a disk image with dd,
but if you are going to be doing it frequently it's probably better to
learn how to use mondo rescue.

Huw

[1] clearly this is a relative thing.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk