[gllug] BBC Radio Archive

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Tue Apr 26 09:26:54 UTC 2005

And verily, didst Dave Cross announce to the hordes:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 08:02:48PM +0100, Steve Nelson wrote:
> > Hello chums,
> >
> > Does anyone know if it is possible (or indeed legal) to 'download' BBC
> > Radio programs rather than streaming them online?
>
> I can't comment on the legality or otherwise, but you can use mplayer
> to grab a real audio stream and put it into a raw audio data file
>
>   mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile <some_filename> <stream_url>
>
> And then convert that into a pcm file (creates audiodump.wav)
>
>   mplayer -ao pcm <some_filename>

Almost
It's
mplayer -ao pcm:file=<some_filename>
or
mplayer -ao pcm -pcmfile=<some filename>
depending on which version of mplayer. The first one's the newest syntax

> Delete the (large )raw file
>
>   rm <some_filename>
>
> Then use lame to convert pcm to mp3
>
>   lame -h -v -b 112 audiodump.wav <mp3_filename>

I use audacity. that way you can snip the waffle off the beginning and the
end of the file

:)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk