[Gllug] OT re CD Drives.

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Apr 22 20:22:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, dylan at dylan.me.uk stipulated:
> On Thursday 21 Apr 2005 17:53 pm, john gennard wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> Both these CD Drives are on the second IDE channel, so I
>> can't believe a Mobo or cable problem accounts for the
>> difficulties.
>
> I'd try the new one as the master device alone on the IDE channel, and
> also try a different cable. The connections between the ribbon and the
> plug can be flaky, and one device can malfunction while the other works
> fine.

I just had this problem with my CD-RW drive: `no media present' errors
at intermittent but frustrating moments. I reasoned[1] that the cause
must be that the drive couldn't read the ATIP (or some similarly
critical structure). One laser head clean later, and all was well.

[1] A really useful word. I just discovered it. It means `guessed', I
    think.

> Also, make sure you try various cds as some of those new "security
> protected" ones will work fine in one drive but not another, or even
> intermittently in the same drive.

I just avoid buying the fucking things. Of course, this means I can't
listen to stuff released by `major labels', but since most of their
output is crap, and I'd not be able to play it *anyway*, I figure it's a
small loss. I mostly stick to Naxos, and listen without moral qualms.
(No of *course* I don't get moral qualms from sampling and MP3-encoding
it and sticking it on my MP3 player: if half the MPs in the House and
the Leader of the Free World are doing it, I figure I'm probably
reasonably safe :)

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk