[Gllug] Fedora and JPackage

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Sun Apr 24 12:07:53 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'd like to know what people's views are on using the JPackage repo,
specifically with Fedora, as opposed to manually installing Java related
software. It appears that Fedora is set-up to support JPackage fairly
well, but is it really wise to use a package repo rather than installing
Java software to somewhere encapsulated like /opt/java?

What are the pros and cons of each method?

On a narrower spectrum, does anyone have any experience of configuring
and running a development installation of APLAWS+ using a JDK and Tomcat
from JPackage? My first attempt at that was a failure but I think it's
because I didn't really understand my Tomcat installation; a side-effect
of being able to use a JPackage RPM instead of doing a manual
installation.

All thoughts and opinions gratefully received! ;)

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

30F2739E: B53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3  4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E