[Gllug] Fedora and JPackage

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:42:52 UTC 2005

Pros of RPM:
Normally the stuff is put in more standard distro places
Wrapper scripts such as service start X are installed.
Better support for swapping JVMs.
Reproduceable install
Easily Upgradeable
Dependancy resolution
Easy to to deploy the same configuration to multiple servers
dev/staging/production.
The packager has often fixed issues for you.

Cons of RPM:
Instructions and support from tomcat/apache/sun etc, might no longer quite
be correct.
Making major modifications to packages after installation loses many of the
benefits of using rpms unless you rebuild the rpm yourself - config changes
are ok but not src.
Lot's of people are more comfortable installing from src.