[Gllug] apache php mysql linux courses at Kand C

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Apr 12 14:10:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 03:53:03PM +0100, Steve wrote:
> Not meaning to be a smart-arse, but I've been to a few courses and
> found them to be pretty poor compared to doing your own work.

There are two major advantages to doing a set course, though:

	1.  You set specific time aside for it.
	2.  If the trainer/course is any good, a coherent and relevant
	set of information is imparted.

1 is important because it takes a lot longer to learn new things if you
have to fit it in round everything else you are doing.  2 is important
for people who are very new to a topic.  1 and 2 together are a
lifesaver for busy people who are new to a topic, since they will
otherwise find it quite difficult to organise enough time simply to
assess the topic and try and establish which are the important areas for
them to be teaching themselves.  Even a mediocre course can provide a
person with the base from which they can train themselves up
effectively and it's much more efficient and quick for them to take a
week out for that than to find odd moments over months.

Too many organisations rely on their IT staff to do their research and
(self) training in their spare hours.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.