[Gllug] "Open source has its own problems" - article in Computing

Robert Newson ran at bullet3.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 18:07:40 UTC 2005

David Damerell wrote:

>>A piece of trivia regarding Nethack: I pick my race and class, but leave
>>gender to chance. The top 9 entries in my score file are female. So is
>>being female an advantage?

I don't know abot nethack (never got into it), but when I used to play
MUD/MIST at SX on the DEC-10, I discovered that female characters started
with better stamina and dexterity, but less strength than males, which
helped my style of game (at the beginning).  As the character progressed up
the levels, each characteristic increased until it reached max, so after
playing a while, there was no difference between male & female.

Next time you're bored and off on a nethack escapade, check out your stats
at the beginning of the game and as the game progresses.  There may be a
correlation between the initial character stats and your style of game: the
female initial stats preferring your style (and hence the predominace of
females in your high score table; or that may just be a bias in the random
selection of the sex of the character - it picks female more often than 50%
of the time; or perhaps the sequence from the random number generator
doesn't give a good game if it gives a value that selects Male when chosing
the sex - assuming it uses a pseduo-random (sequence) number generator, that
is).

> If you polyself you are much more likely to end up as a female
> oviparous monster. Also Valkyries are always female and one of the
> easiest classes to play.

Interesting...a bias in polyself towards female?  What does polyself do?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk