[Gllug] FTP downloaded SUSE 9.3 to hdd - won't install over nfs..

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Mon Aug 8 11:33:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 12:16 +0100, Croker, Grant wrote:

> Are you trying to upgrade from within YaST or from the boot.iso (in
> 9.3/boot)?

Sorry, should have made that clear - from the boot.iso suitably burned
to plastic...

I wish I understood what you meant by "mount a loopback device" but
that's missed me entirely! YAST gives a hard disk install option for a
local disk, but I've never been able to make that work, but did manage
to get suse 9.1 to play via download for nfs installs (got a dvd for 9.2
which I must get back to the original owner...).

I may have been pretty good at NT's 3-4 and windross, but my 6 years use
of linux since packing in my PC business due to ill health and young
family has seen me as a simple luser and I've never really got the hang
of this unix stuff (and I've only used XP twice and thought it was so
horrid I wiped it off our disks here at home and put on a penguin
instead. Suse out of the box has generally done us proud). Unix is far
to complicated for someone brought up on Dos who just managed to get on
top of GUI windows... >;) My understanding of TCP/IP networking is
pathetic as well. Novell was so much simpler in the 80s...

If it comes to nowt, does anyone have a burned DVD they could post to
me? I'll send some stamps in return for recompense for postage and
media.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk