[Gllug] FTP downloaded SUSE 9.3 to hdd - won't install over nfs..

Croker, Grant Grant.Croker at ca.com
Mon Aug 8 11:16:37 UTC 2005

> Subject: [Gllug] FTP downloaded SUSE 9.3 to hdd - won't install over
nfs..

> Unfortunately this won't install over nfs for an upgrade. I don't get
> the yast option "what sort of upgrade" or "repair", and when it grinds
> as far as the analysing systems page the software packages have no
> option available.

Are you trying to upgrade from within YaST or from the boot.iso (in
9.3/boot)? I have managed to install/upgrade SuSE releases from before
9.0 across NFS etc. but I had the original media. Never done an install
based on a download from one of the mirrors.

> Will just dumping the CDs iteratively onto the hard disk of one of the
> PCs enable me to run the multiple installation off nfs'ing, or does
the
> splitting up into CDs mess things up with regard to that into a
> installation directory?

You can try to mount each cd as a loopback device and copy the files
into a directory available via NFS etc. I tried this with SLES 9, never
got it to work though :(.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk