[Gllug] Upgrading from RH 9

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 13:39:32 UTC 2005

Mick Farmer writes:

>Has anyone had problems with this?  Is it time to ditch RH
>and go for Fedora?

Depends on your requirements. Fedora is an excellent distribution that
I use on all of my desktops, but it brings with it a short lifespan.
Each version is only supported for around a year after release, so
after that, you either need to upgrade or hope that a third party like
fedoralegacy.org will provide security updates for you. If the shorter
lifespan in exchange for a more up to date distribution seems like a
reasonable tradeoff to you, then Fedora might be for you. If, on the
other hand, you'd rather get a longer lifespan, with guaranteed support
for a number of years, then RHEL WS may be a better bet.

Or, of course, you could switch to another distribution entirely like
Debian or Ubuntu. Personally, I'd recommend Fedora, but I appreciate
that it's not for everyone.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk