[Gllug] OT : very hi bandwidth hosting

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Sun Aug 14 07:41:56 UTC 2005

On 13 Aug 2005, at 19:09, Minty wrote:

> any suggestions for very high bandwidth (TB's a month) dedicated
> hardware hosting providers?

http://www.theplanet.com (2Tb) - Texas, USA
http://www.servermatrix.com (cheaper end of the The Planet) (2Tb) -
Texas, USA
http://www.ev1servers.net (up to 3Tb) - Texas, USA
http://www.tranxactglobal.com (2Tb) - East Cost, USA (can't remember
exact location)
http://www.15minuteservers.com (1Tb) - NY, USA with peering at LINX

> http://serverbeach.com/ appear to offer 2Tb/month from $139 using
> RedHat.  I'm not enirely convinced, as this seems just too cheap.

As with anything - check out what people have to say about them.  I'd
highly recommend Webhostingtalk for this - http://
www.webhostingtalk.com.  Somewhat low signal to noise ratio at times,
but it's a good resource nonetheless.  Also a lot of these companies
I've mentioned also have their own forums which are definately worth
checking out.

> Basically:
>
> - I don't care about the physical location

Lots of choices in Texas :)

> - I don't want to deal with hardware issues, so
> - full hardware support (box, hd, ram, quick replacement on failure)

You'll be lucky on that one.

> - quite happy to deal with commodity hardware configurations
> - 100M/bit+ net connection on each machine
> - linux compatible.

No problems there.

> I'm not after co-lo, or rack space as I don't want to be deal with
> changing harddisks, etc.

Check out Webhosting Talk and thoroughly research before comitting.
I've used every single one of the companies I've mentioned in a
personal capacity over the years and I'm still not sure whether I
like any of them. :\

Regards,

     Martyn
--