[Gllug] [OT] How to do I report a fake domain registration

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Dec 5 10:05:21 UTC 2005

Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I have been spammed by a UK company (Direct Fax and Email Marketing Ltd)
> but the registration for the domain clearly shows fake addresses being
> used (see below).
>
> Given that I would be happy to do as much as I possibly copuld to
> disrupt a spammer's business, who can i complain to about this who will
> actually do something about it? (It is the .com TLD but there is nothing
> obvious on the verisign site)

Not a great deal.  Even if you did manage to speak to a human being who
comprehended your problem, the chances of them doing anything about it
are next to zero.

Dealing with Verisign directly, for any circumstances where you are not
giving them your credit card details, is like pulling your own teeth out.

Long periods on old will result in you being bounced from disinterested
person to untrained person and each call resulting with you bewildering
array of reference numbers, assuming they even acknowledge that the
problem you're reporting actually exists.

They once transferred a domain I was responsible for away to another
company.  With both me and the sysadmin from the other company calling
Verisign daily, we managed to get the domain back under control a mere 6
weeks later with no apology nor explanation from Verisign.

Truely, if you want a domain name these days, I urge you to use the .uk
namespace whenever possible.  Nominet aren't perfect but at least you
can always speak to a human, and one who usually has a clue.

</rant mode>

As for the solution to your problem, just blacklist the domain in your
mail servers.

Mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk