[Gllug] SPAM - trying to block at SMTP level

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Feb 18 21:24:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Philip Hands wrote:
> t.clarke wrote:
>> I have been pondering upon the problem of spam and thought it worthwhile to
>> run a few ideas past you all, as I am sure that spam filtration is an area
>> for which many of you must qualify for the 'been there, done that and got the
>> T-shirt' award!
>
> For a, possibly insane, but very effective implementation, take a look at:
>
>    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/sauce/

SAUCE isn't insane: it conforms perfectly well to Ray's Variation on the
Robustness Principle: `Be pedantic in what you accept and arbitrarily
brutal in what you send.'

> May result in people getting somewhat fed up with the 4 hour delay that it
> introduces if it doesn't like your DNS setup, aggressiveness of your MTA,
> shoe colour or whatever, but you'll never see another SPAM (or so I hear.
> I'm not actually running it, mostly because I have an aversion to TCL)

Well, it works for chiark, but I think chiark has a rather higher
proportion of clued users than the majority of systems. :)

I don't know if anyone other than chiark is actually running it.

> Even if you don't actually use it directly, there are a lot of good ideas
> to be found in there to inspire your own approach.

Absolutely.

--
> ...Hires Root Beer...
What we need these days is a stable, fast, anti-aliased root beer
with dynamic shading. Not that you can let just anybody have root.
 --- John M. Ford
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk