[Gllug] What's that network congestion setting called?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Feb 9 10:44:00 UTC 2005

On 9 Feb 2005, at 10:00, Tethys wrote:
> Ian Northeast writes:
>> PS I don't actually know if a Cisco switch would autonegotiate
>> correctly
>> with Linux.
>
> As far as I can tell, Cisco switches are incapabale of autonegotiating
> correctly with *anything*. Cisco advise always using autonegotiation.
> Strange, then, that they seem incapable of shipping a product where
> that actually works. We hardwire speed and duplex on all of our ports,
> simply because using autonegotiation causes more problems that it
> solves,
> at least with Cisco equipment.

I always found that Cisco switches and Sun boxes would consistently
auto negotiate in opposite ways; host would do full duplex, and switch
would do half. What's more they'd take 30 seconds to STP enable a port
by default (without 'portfast', where 'portfast' means this port isn't
an Inter-switch-link (ISL)).

OT... slightly....  but by comparison, the DLink GGS3324-SR (I think
thats the model number) 24-port gigabit switches all STP negotiate
within about 1 to 3 seconds, auto neg to 1GB fdx properly, and
generally work very well. I'd have trouble recommended a Cisco over
this DLink. I now have around 10 of them. With the newer firmware (v3
iirc), they all support MSTP (multiple spanning tree), and I have 6 of
them all multi-inter-linked so there is no single point of failure in
the entire switching infrastructure.

Ho hum.

   James

--
  James Bromberger, Senior Systems Administrator
  Fotango, 64 Ironmonger Row, London, EC1V 3QR

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk