[Gllug] What's that network congestion setting called?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Feb 9 19:07:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 10:44 +0000, James Bromberger wrote:

> OT... slightly....  but by comparison, the DLink GGS3324-SR (I think
> thats the model number) 24-port gigabit switches all STP negotiate
> within about 1 to 3 seconds, auto neg to 1GB fdx properly, and
> generally work very well. I'd have trouble recommended a Cisco over
> this DLink. I now have around 10 of them. With the newer firmware (v3
> iirc), they all support MSTP (multiple spanning tree), and I have 6 of
> them all multi-inter-linked so there is no single point of failure in
> the entire switching infrastructure.

I agree. We usually like HP Procurve switches for similar reasons.

Recently we have gone with Nortel also for stacking switches.

Even more recently have worked with 3Com switches on the big Sun
cluster. These are the first switches (AFAIK) which offer 10Gig inter-
switch links. They use Infiniband-type cables.

ps. before you all say it, there are probably other brands available
now. And I'm talking about links between stacks of switches - not 10gig
blades in a big router.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk