[Gllug] Blackberry

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Mon Feb 28 15:24:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, t.clarke wrote:

>Browsing through a Misco catalogue whilst enjoying my delicious Brie and
>Tomato Baguette I noticed a section (page 18) on the Blackberry
>Enterprise Server. It gives the impression that you can only use a
>Blackberry with Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Domino(Notes).  Untrue of
>course, but we found it very hard to get definitive info out of either O2
>or Vodafone as to how to use one of these devices with our
>linux/unix-based mail system. When the device finally arrived the printed
>instructions as to how to set up the email facility were completely wrong
>- a telephone call to Vodafone tech support elicited the correct info
>which was at complete variance to the booklet!
>
>Makes you wonder if they have vested interest in (presumably) flogging
>some extra software required to run on the Windows mail server??

One of the justifications for my company's move to Exchange was it's
integration with Blackberries. Riled most of the techies in our
predominantly UNIX based company. Exchange Calendar facilities are
pathetic, loathed by all techies in the company as far as I can tell (at
least our old Netscape calendar system recorded pending but not confirmed
appointments.)

What did you integrate with, BTW, out of interest?

>Tim

Christian

--
    /"\