[Gllug] Blackberry

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 15:31:01 UTC 2005

Christian, re Blackberry 'integration'

My solution, which no doubt some will consider a 'bodge' (but it works) is
as follows:-

1)  We use a SCO Opensewer system as our main server upon which everyone
receives their emails.   Currently the mail arrives from outside on a Linux
box and is redelivered simply over the internal LAN to the SCO box.  The
SCO box uses 'mmdf' as its MTA (no groans please; it works fine for this
purpose).

2)  We have a home-grown 'redirect email' facility for users which allows them
to re-direct emails when they are out of the office to others and, optionally,
if they have a Blackberry to that account.  The facility simply updates mmdf's
alias table to send a copy of any incoming mail to the special blackberry
address for the user (set up on vodafones blackberry web site).
Thus when someone is out and wants to get emails on their blackberry they simply
redirect their mail appropriately. The emakil comnes into the SCO system and is
immediately turned-around a makiled out again to the blackberry email address.

I assume most linux MTA's have the facility to set up aliases reasonably
dynamically in a similar manner to that which we use for mmdf, or if they havn't
they can be patched to do so.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk