[Gllug] Anyone know anything about hardware ?

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 00:22:53 UTC 2005

On Monday 24 Jan 2005 16:32, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> I have a faulty hard disk and investigations show that it is a
> manufacturing fault with a chip on the controller board and there is
> nothing wrong with the platters or data. I have got a quote of £400+vat to
> recover the data, they also state that under no circumstances should I
> attempt to replace the controller board as this store drive characteristics
> and will cause a drive failure and lose my data.
>
> Anyone got any ideas how I can get this data off the disk? Currently the
> disk is not recognised by the BIOS, although I have not tried it in a
> second machine to see if it is recognised in there.

What brand of drive is it?  I had success with some Fujitsu drives that had
controllers die (after a PSU went ballistic) - Fujitsu/Siemens shipped me a
replacement controller card overnight - I connected it to each of the drives
in turn, and had no problem reading the contents of the disks - the drives
were then scrapped!

It sounds to me that someone is just trying to relieve you of £400 for little
work by baffling you with BS!

Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk