[Gllug] Excuses for slow server response times

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 21:13:18 UTC 2005

Doug Winter wrote:

> However, the numbers you quote make this seem unlikely.  If you were
> the only person using the service then they'd look realistic - 5.5
> seconds for a complex query isn't insane, and if you were the only
> person executing it then that would seem right.

I'm definitely not the only person on the service, though I may be the
only one paying such close attention to the performance ;-) Excluding
the glitch dates, since launch in early November, the daily averages
have all been below 1 second.

> However, I'd expect that mostly you'd get < 1s responses with the odd
> huge one sprinkled in, as you were unlucky enough to hit the service
> when the cache was invalid.  From what you say, the idea that you are
> the only person using it is very unlikely.  Since your minimum
> response time is 5.5s I reckon there's probably something else going
> on as well.

That is what I'm worried about.

> This doesn't mean they are fibbing of course - a lot of places employ
> nobody with clue in scaling and operational stuff like that, since
> it's rather hard to learn (you have to pick it up on the job).  Be
> gentle with them :)

I'm going for the firm but gentle, it's in neither parties interest if
there are problems being missed or ignored. A bit of constructive
feedback should help nurture those scaling and operational skills.

Thanks

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk