[Gllug] Dvorak Keyboards and vim

Stig Brautaset stig at brautaset.org
Sat Jan 15 11:26:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 01:34:21AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> >> Poor old vi people are really in trouble: all those positional
> >> keybindings are totally broken by any new layout, while the Emacs
> >> style (almost but not quite `bind the keys at random, let the users
> >> get used to it') always works. :)

My experience says otherwise. Before I switched to vim I was an Emacs
user; at this time I found Emacs a barrier to switching because of its
multi-finger keystrokes. Some time after I had switched to vim I tried
switching to Dvorak again and this time my editor's keybindings didn't
get in the way.

> > thbthbthb. I use vim very happily with dvorak AND qwerty.
>
> Doesn't it blow away hjkl rather drastically?

I don't find it a problem. Anyway, as I said at the beginning of this
thread, they aren't really that useful[0]. Vi's got lots of much more
powerful movement operations.

Stig

[0] heresy! I hear you all cry...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk