[Gllug] Dvorak Keyboards and vim

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jan 15 20:25:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Stig Brautaset announced authoritatively:

> My experience says otherwise. Before I switched to vim I was an Emacs
> user; at this time I found Emacs a barrier to switching because of its
> multi-finger keystrokes. Some time after I had switched to vim I tried
> switching to Dvorak again and this time my editor's keybindings didn't
> get in the way.

Others (e.g. Karl Fogel) say they switched the other way because Emacs's
bindings were trivial to port across :)

Certainly having looked at it I can't see anything wrong with the
bindings that would make them particularly hard to use in Emacs. The
position of the E will make C-a and C-e annoyingly different, but not
*that* annoying.

> I don't find it a problem. Anyway, as I said at the beginning of this
> thread, they aren't really that useful[0]. Vi's got lots of much more
> powerful movement operations.

Ah. Well, I'm a savage primitive and I never managed to internalize any
of them.

> [0] heresy! I hear you all cry...

That's OK, I already think you're a heretic and possibly insane for
switching *away* from the One True Editor anyway. ;)

--
`Blish is clearly in love with language. Unfortunately,
 language dislikes him intensely.' --- Russ Allbery
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk