[Gllug] London explosions

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 20:30:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 09:21:44PM +0100, Peter Childs wrote:
> Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>
> >>Anyway, you were going to tell us how ID cards would solve terrorism?
> >>

> >I am not aware that anybody - including me - has ever said ID cards
> >would "solve" terrorism.
> >
> >Perhaps you can enlighten me as to when I, or indeed anyone else, made
> >this claim?
> >

>    Ok We're all agreed that ID card will not fix anything, But what
> about putting Airport Style metal detectors at every tube and train
> station in the country and scanning everyone entering the system, When I
> went out to Washington this was quite normal. You don't know who but at
> least you might know what, and thats likly to help when somthing goes wrong.

With the high volume of people on the tubes - think of the delays that it would
cause if done properly. It might be an idea to do it to make people feel better,
ie that they were safe, it might even deter the odd terrorist, but they would just
move to attack busses, crowded streets, ...

Modern explosives can be quite small & still do some damage - remember we are
talking about a few people here, not bringing down buildings. Virtually
impossible to detect without making life in this country intolerable.

A much better idea would be to reduce the crowds - encourage more working
from home (now that broadband is cheap, many could do so several days/week),
and think what benefit that would bring to the environment - all those
pollution generating journeys saved.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.