[Gllug] London explosions

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Thu Jul 7 20:47:42 UTC 2005

* @ 07/07/05 09:30:30 PM addw at phcomp.co.uk wrote:
> > >I am not aware that anybody - including me - has ever said ID cards
> > >would "solve" terrorism.

I'm sure we're all paid up memebers of No2ID and signed the pledgebank
petition, right? Good. :-)

> >    Ok We're all agreed that ID card will not fix anything, But what
> > about putting Airport Style metal detectors at every tube and train
> > station in the country and scanning everyone entering the system, When I
> > went out to Washington this was quite normal. You don't know who but at
> > least you might know what, and thats likly to help when somthing goes wrong.
>
> With the high volume of people on the tubes - think of the delays that it would
> cause if done properly. It might be an idea to do it to make people feel better,
> ie that they were safe, it might even deter the odd terrorist, but they would just
> move to attack busses, crowded streets, ...

Airports are now supposedly secure, so bomb the tube. So lets make the
tube secure? So bomb a ferry, or intercity coaches or pick another city.

> A much better idea would be to reduce the crowds - encourage more working
> from home (now that broadband is cheap, many could do so several days/week),
> and think what benefit that would bring to the environment - all those
> pollution generating journeys saved.

Cycling past everyone walking home today (Oh BTW I was at Kings X this
morning as it all happened) I thought 'what a great advert for the
British Heart Foundation'. I had to walk 3 miles to work to0, argh.

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk