[Gllug] 24Mbps Broadband in London

Avtar Marwaha avtar at vestrivan.net
Tue Jul 19 01:09:29 UTC 2005

Rob Crowther wrote:

> I've seen a few articles about this recently (last week in Computing
> and CW I think, more recently I found an old article on the Register
> where I finally found a link to their home page -
> http://www.bethere.co.uk). Trials are apparently going to start in
> London next month, they're using Alcatel kit to provide ADSL2+:
>
> http://www.home.alcatel.com/vpr/vpr.nsf/DateKey/11072005_1uk
>
> So I'm wondering - is this new technology?  Or merely new to the UK?
> And if the latter, is it therefore fairly safe to try and get in on
> one of the trials considering I'd have to give up a reliable (but, by
> comparison pedestrian) ISP I've been quite happy with for over two
> years now?  I guess I'm the only person who can answer that last
> question to my satisfaction, but I'd be interested to know people's
> thoughts on the likely reliability of the service.
>
> Rob

Hi

ADSL2+ is available in Sweden and France (there may be others) so the
technology is fairly safe.  If reliable broadband access is important to
you then I would wait until there are reports from others on how
reliable the service is before signing up.  This will be a LLU service
and the ISP themselves will have to provide more infrastructure that is
necessary for a ADSL service which uses BT's network so there is more
opportunity for them to get it wrong, and if it does go wrong it will
likely be when it is being setup and offered to customers for the first
time.

Avtar
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk