[Gllug] [OT] Data Recovery companies

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Jun 10 17:17:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 02:36:39PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Ashley Evans writes:
>
> >Google returns a myriad of companies.  Anybody with positive first hand
> >experience ?
>
> Nope. Every time I've been in that situation, the owner of the data has
> always decided that they'd rather lose it than pay for recovery. It's
> *very* expensive.

Does anyone have any figures on exactly how expensive?

FWIW I spent last weekend recovering a 40GB FAT-format hard drive by
hand for a friend who had somehow managed to (or Windoze had managed
to) write data from another disk over the start.  FAT1 was completely
lost.  About 30% of FAT2 was also lost.  I wrote a bunch of programs
which used heuristics to locate directories, rebuild the tree (using
the remains of the FAT where appropriate), and recover the files.

I'm not going to charge my friend - although I have given him stern
warnings about this being the once and only time and to buy a USB disk
for backups.  But how much *would* that sort of work cost?  Maybe I
should have a sideline ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.