[Gllug] spamassassin v bogofilter

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jun 2 15:38:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Bruce Richardson uttered the following:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 07:45:12AM +0100, Craig wrote:
>> i've been using/testing/playing with spamassassin for a while and the only
>> thing that bothers me about it is that it is damned slow and nails processing
>> time.
>
> Are you using spamd/spamc or is your mta or procmail script invoking
> spamassassin directly?  There are quite a few things you can do to
> improve the performance of spamassassin.

Also, given that this is an aging 386: how much RAM does it have? If
you're short and using spamc/spamd, you probably want to restrict the
number of SA children to 1, or upgrade to SA trunk (from Subversion), as
this has a number of invasive changes to use Apache-style preforking
rather than round-robin preforking, drastically cutting memory use when
the number of children is >1.

Also note that spamd can run on a different machine than spamc: I use
this to keep spam and virus scanning running on a larger machine behind
the firewall, which is much faster than the firewall itself.

> I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.

I discovered how recently: befriend the editor of a major dictionary.

--
`Once again, I must remark on the far-reaching extent of my
 ladylike nature.' --- Rosie Taylor
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk