[Gllug] [OT] tree spanning algorithms/libraries

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jun 29 15:10:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Richard uttered the following:
> Tethys wrote:
>>Use a declarative language like Prolog, and let it handle the details
>>for you...
>
> I'm not so sure, every line of "declarative" Prolog has to include
> very careful consideration of it's run-time behaviour. Consider the
> cut (!) predicate; or the complexity of the solution to the general
> 'family tree' problem in Prolog, and how you demonstrate a 'cousin'
> relationship in Prolog.

Use Mercury, then. A declarative language with sane syntax and an
evaluator that you *don't* have to know the backtracking details of to
write correct code.

> Don't get me wrong, Prolog can be quite handy for some problems

e.g. proving to people that Mercury is better. ;)

--
`I lost interest in "blade servers" when I found they didn't throw knives
 at people who weren't supposed to be in your machine room.'
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk