[Gllug] spamassassin v bogofilter

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Jun 1 08:22:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 00:52 +0100, Craig Millar wrote:
> i've been using/testing/playing with spamassassin for a while and the only
> thing that bothers me about it is that it is damned slow and nails processing
> time. to my mind it a great solution apart from this drain on my limited
> resources. so, i googled for alternatives and have turned up bogofilter.
> i have been unable to find a decent comparison between the two. is the
> performance of bogofilter a trade off for its effectiveness, for example?

I use both.  Each catches things that the other misses.

Are you dealing with a very large volume of e-mail, to the extent where
the CPU load of SA is overloading your system?  Yes, each individual
e-mail takes a while to process, but I find the delay in reception
perfectly acceptable.  If my system weren't filtering e-mails it would
be staring into space and twiddling its thumbs.  Is the load produced by
SA preventing your system from doing other constructive work?

Are you using spamd?  That can help speed things up.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk